Thursday 5 January 2012

Beginnings

Goldie and the Gingerbreads - Compilation

Genya Ravan, born Genyusha Zelkowitz [and known also as Goldie Zelkowitz, the name on her solo album of 1974] started her career in what is often cited as the first all-female rock band signed to a major record label [Atlantic Records], and in my researching and writing about Ravan I came across these photos as well as a compilation of the band's work. It's no surprise to hear Ravan's voice cutting such a distinctive sound in these pop and R'n'B tunes from the early 60s.


As I've said, I don't believe she is as well know as is deserved, and this in spite of the vocal genius, the iconoclastic early career, her subsequent music production and, I believe, film work. I hope these brief references encourage anyone who reads to seek out some of her music.

2 comments:

  1. Some of this stuff is so obscure. Your appetite for discovering music is insatiable!

    Give 'The Hunter' by Mastodon a try. A lot of the heavier rock press's album of 2011. Southern-fried prog metal(!) I've had it on out running a few times and it always reveals something I hadn't noticed before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I do like to follow the routes, but it's only 'obscure' to a young 'un like you! I will try the Mastodon - thanks for recommendation.

    ReplyDelete