Thursday 5 September 2013

David Ramirez - Apologies/The Rooster

The Independence of Echo

I have today downloaded the five albums/EPs being offered free and/or for a tip from the excellent promotional NoiseTrade site here.

David Ramirez is new to me though his sound isn't, thankfully. This is excellent folk/Americana, and as sited in the 'For Fans Of' section he can sound like Ryan Adams, and that is patently true as with other echos, although there is also a clear independence in his overall sound. I have also heard Dylan, and on the track Fire of Time from his The Rooster EP he sounds like Tom Paxton. It is the second track on this EP The Bad Days that carries the Adams' echo to soaring heights, and it is all the better for this. You can't really escape influences and similarities but you can glow in their reflected light.


Album Apologies is the first I have listened to and it is excellent in both its sweet songwriting and in Ramirez's singing. Whilst there are rockier moments. most of what I have heard so far is simple acoustic self-reflection and storytelling, both obviously merging. The Rooster EP presents five quality tracks, and I am currently listening to the superb Don't Call Me Crying with its mellow harmonies and pedal steel.

Maybe my ear hasn't been to the right ground, but Ramirez is a very talented singer-songwriter who should be much better known and heard. I hope this NoiseTrade promotion assists with that.

Did I tip? I did for the going price of a single album and I have received a bargain. You would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment