Sunday 13 October 2013

Piers Faccini - Between Dogs and Wolves



Entre chien et loup

Examining and writing units for a book continue to preoccupy and therefore limit my posting of music reviews. But I do keep listening to music as I work, and the unit I am currently writing for students recommends the principle of less is more in their own writing.

So for pragmatic and putting-into-practice reasons here is a brief review: Piers Faccini is an English singer/songwriter and painter who lives in France. This album is quintessentially English folk though not of the finger-in-your-ear-and-fiddle kind and more a pastoral [with clichéd but genuinely apt invocation] Nick Drake kind, apart from when sung in French or Italian, though that is a false tangent as it still sounds English, but not the words.

I have also been writing about playing around with sentence types in writing as I have done above.

It is therefore a quiet album – there is no percussion – and it is slow and pretty. There is violin [or cello?] but not fiddle. Faccini has a strong and full vocal, though gentle, and that is perhaps the most distinctive feature, but then he is a singer. Lots of piano.

Not that I would encourage students to write music reviews like this.

It means twilight.

No comments:

Post a Comment