Friday 23 August 2019

Byron Wallen at the Blue Vanguard Jazz Club, Gipsy Hill Hotel, 22nd August, 2019

Pic by Nick
Survival and Surrender

In my recent review of Byron Wallen’s excellent album Meeting Ground here, I concluded with the observation: Imagine my happy anticipation of seeing Wallen play at Exeter next week.

That gig last night fully lived up to the expectation, wonderfully so as I will explain shortly. As ever, The Blue Vanguard Trio excelled in their support and individual solos, these accompanying the warm personality and hot playing of Wallen. A set of standards began the evening, opening with Nat Adderley’s Sack O’ Woe, which included a glorious elongated trill on the horn; a John Coltrane number, and others I have [as usual] failed to remember by name.

I had to leave at the interval, but the song played just before this is what made the evening for me, truncated as it was. Wallen introduced his self-penned song as ‘something outside the box’ and it was to be Freedom Struggle from his album Meeting Ground. He explained a little about his travels to North Africa and meeting and playing with musicians there, expanding to also briefly talk about Morrocan Gnawa music and all these links to the song which was in many respects about personal survival and surrender. The playing was sublime, the start a soaring flight over Milverton’s piano layers, with horn-squeals at its peak, to eventually break into the rhythmic percussion of Al Swainger on bass and Coach York on drums, this sustained palpably to its end [especially in the sense that one couldn’t sit still to its playing and instead had to move with it - for me anyway], Coach, in particular, keeping the fire alive.

I was reliably informed this morning that the post-interval set was also superb, but I was so pleased to have heard my final number. It was memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment