Wednesday 29 February 2012

Surprise Songs

Warren Haynes, Sick Of My Shadow - Man In Motion [2011]

Haynes' first solo album for 18 years, the sometime Gov't Mule, The Allman Brothers Band, The Dead and countless other band's or jam group's major or cameo contributor turns in a soulful and groove-laden rather than straight bluesrock album that also foregrounds his great gravelly vocal.

For me, stand-out and surprise track is Sick Of My Shadow, surprising because the lead instrument is an effects tweaked saxophone played by Ron Holloway. The Hammond organ stabs are beaten back by the sax solos and even Haynes' guitar work takes a passenger seat next to this domination. I love it, but most reviews either ignore or, as with one, prefer to reference a solo demo and then deride the polished and final version. You can see Haynes play this as a solo on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4whAeNwg_4&feature=related [and I was amazed at the simple chord sequence] or the full album version on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddZaxztJL28&feature=related

Have a listen, compare, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment