Wednesday 11 July 2012

Skeeter Davis & NRBQ - She Sings, They Play

Marriage Made In Eclectic Heaven

In continuing my brief NRBQ focus, here's an exemplification of the band’s eclecticism I have been mentioning: Country chanteuse Skeeter Davis teaming up with rockabilly/rock'n'roll/rock band NRBQ. It isn't just a musical matrimony as Skeeter was married to bass player Joe Spampinato, but whereas the nuptials may have conventionally expected an equal partnership, on this recording it is Davis’ classic, even twee Country that dominates in all its innocent sounding charm.


The band gives obvious able support, and there’s some fine pedal steel throughout. The album was recorded in 1981 but not released until 1985. There is a strong cover of Hank William’s May You Never Be Alone; and the twee Country stereotype is faithfully played to musical perfection – if you have the liking, as I do – but also to deeply ironic effect in the Davis original Roses On My Shoulder where Skeeter sings of a girl’s fatherless life as a woman of the world, or as the narrative explains with a further layer of euphemism, I grew up fast and moved to town where I could walk the streets: I was looking for my daddy in every man I'd meet

No comments:

Post a Comment