Saturday 13 May 2017

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced: 50th Anniversary

Either Side

I quite like the symmetry of this: yesterday, May 12th, was the actual date of the 50th anniversary of the release of this seminal album, perhaps the one and only that can carry that tag without any refutation whatsoever. I 'reviewed' it here on the blog on May 11th, 2011, and I now refer to it again on May 13th, 2017, so each date either side of that release date.

I didn't actually review the album back in 2011, placing it in my Top Fifty - that's no surprise - and I won't today because it doesn't really need one. I did enjoy The Huey Show [Huey Morgan] on BBC Radio 6 today as I was listening whilst driving home from the Lakes as he presented a special on the album, playing its still stunning tracks, as well as others, especially early Hendrix, and interviews.

As I said in my previous posting, I had an original UK copy which was pinched from my cottage and I am quite angry about that, a feeling I didn't quite reflect then. I also didn't mention that the American vinyl copy I now have was obtained by my mother for me, and that was so thoughtful - she more than anyone listening to the music I grew up with: not by choice, but by ambient very loud sound! This is the month of what would have been her birthday if she was still here, but I will  say thanks Mom all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment