Monday 27 August 2018

Pink Fairies - Resident Reptiles, album review

Pounding and Whipping and Wolfing it Loud

There are originals, and these are – well, those who are left/in the band, now led by founder Paul Rudolph with Hawkwind bassist Alan Davey and original Motörhead drummer Lucas Fox who co-wrote the songs. In addition, another Pink Fairies/Motörhead member, Larry Wallis, wrote the track Old Enuff To Know Better that I’m listening to as I write, all chug and drive and volume.

Are they old enough to know better? They certainly don’t know any different and presumably that’s what we want if we want this. I’ve actually been listening a little earlier to a Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam compilation and whilst this is from a definite tangent I have played it loud and it is at this point the Pink Fairies deserve their recognition for playing it loud – very loud – and starting the trajectories that went on or from Blue Cheer to Black Sabbath to Hawkwind to Motorhead and so on.

Fucking Loud.

As I’ve written elsewhere, I saw the Pink Fairies at the Weeley Festival because they were there and so was I and I bought their vinyl album of the live capture of their set many years later which is totally unlistenable because it is such a crap recording. But I have it. And I was there. And I saw them. Apparently.

To be honest all the tracks are pretty much the same: pounding and pounding louder. The echo of a Steppenwolf Born to be Wild riff permeates the fine onslaught of Whipping Boy, but I think my favourite so far is Lone Wolf that pounds the pounding out of all the others. Strap yourself to the speakers, stop thinking and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment