Thursday 22 May 2014

Drive In Menu - Latest Listening


I've been busy finishing the English textbook I have been writing, and today I fly to Manchester to begin the GCSE examining period. I haven't therefore been posting as often as I'd like, and won't for the foreseeable future. So here's a summary of what I have been listening to in lieu of fuller details and celebrations:

Claudia Schmidt - New Whirled Order: proper singing
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots: such a genuine talent
Dwight Yoakam - South Of Heaven, West Of Hell: film score so less commercial [not that this has ever been a problem for this fan]. Will refer later to an excellent covers album of his songs too.
Engelbert Humperdinck - Engelbert Calling: I know. But strangely enjoyable here and there. And he was a favourite of my Mother so that counts for loads
Habib Koité - Soô: quite beautiful at times
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - The Very Best Of: my goodness, I Miss You, pt 1 is utterly sublime. Listen to those plaintive wailings. Glorious
London Grammar - If You Wait Remixes: will always be interesting, but it's the vocal that soars
Michael Jackson - Xscape: snatches of the genius he was, often in the production love
Nils Petter Molvær - Swicht: trumpet and pedal steel, such a sweet combination
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music: sounds classic and is classy
The Delines – Colfax: must review the whole album, the storytelling is so empathetic to the everyday in Vlautin's Ray Carver style - though also so clearly his own - and the music empathises as much
VA - The Songs Of Dwight Yoakam - Will Sing For Food: great covers, and reminds us of Yoakam's talent too
Warren Zevron - My Ride's Here: have always loved this album and been listening to much of his work recently, this album of course recorded as he was dieing, and it's title redolent with his wonderful wit, and the songs upbeat as well as, understandably, reflecting in an honesty that hurts

No comments:

Post a Comment