Thursday 7 March 2019

The Bonzo Dog Band - Best Of

Great Fun

Musically my day started well, listening to the Townes Van Zandt 1973 Sky Blue album [originally recorded then, released today] and being reminded of how brilliant such brilliant simplicity is - though lyrically that would be an inaccurate summation, and musically too in one sense - but I think those who know will...

This sweet moment was informed by much of other stuff I have been listening to, not necessarily bad, but perhaps I'm a little underwhelmed by some over-production and complexities as many strive for nuance all these years down the road from '73, yet that also would be too simplistic. But those...

Anyway, continuing the simple enjoyment, I am listening to a wonderful compilation of The Bonzo Dog Band, obvious songs like I'm the Urban Spaceman and Canyons of Your Mind, but reminded [or more honestly, re-introduced] to gems like the crazy My Slater's Parrot, the socially satirical and observant Sport (The Odd Boy), the ironically good blues boogie of Can Blue Men Sing the Whites, and the birth of comic rap in Humanoid Boogie.

Yes, so much is knucklestuff for 2019, but nothing as crass as Amber Rudd today referring to Dianne Abbot...

No comments:

Post a Comment