Sunday 20 December 2020

Some Awe's Best of 2020

 The Annual Awe List

Great music from 2020 that I have listened to and enjoyed, this selection tending to those albums I have revisited more than once.

In alphabetical order, rather than ranked. A top three would probably be, in this order and for varying reasons: Springsteen, Dylan and ACDC.

ACDCPower Up

Bill Fay - Countless Branches

Black to Comm - Oocyte Oil & Stolen Androgens

Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

Chris Smither - More from the Levee

Fleet FoxesShore

Gillian WelchBoots [all 3 volumes]

Giorgi Mikadze - Georgian Microjamz

Gregory Porter All Rise

Jonathan Hultén - Chants from Another Place

Kandace Springs - The Women Who Raised Me

Laura Marling - Song for Our Daughter

Marcus King - El Dorado

Mark LaneganStraight Songs of Sorrow

Natalie Jane Hill - Azalea

Nils Lofgren BandWeathered

Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man

Paul McCartney - McCartney III

Pearl Jam - Dance of The Clairvoyants

Randall Bramblett - Pine Needle Fire

Richard Thompson - Bloody Noses EP

Rob Luft - Life Is the Dancer

Robyn Hitchcock - The Man Downstairs; Demos & Rarities

Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine

Sam Amidon - Sam Amidon

Sam Lee - Old Wow

Simphiwe DanaBamako

Shelby LynneShelby Lynne

Yusuf Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman²

26.12.20: Having just revisited this post to tart it up with colour and italics, I want to add that my 'top three' still stands, but this does reflect allegiance and nostalgia as significant indicators. 

The point is I should mention how Natalie Jane Hill's Azalea is a great 'new' find for me, and to discover her on a YouTube clip singing one of the album's great tracks Emerald Blue three years ago - solo and in a flourists - I will add that vocal is quite stunning live; Marcus King was my other new-to-me joy, and his earlier albums with a band are dynamite, and one of the most beautiful tracks I have heard in 2020 is Usikhonzile by Simphiwe Dana from her album here in the list.

 

2 comments:

  1. Fantastically eclectic list! Will send me off to explore so many of these people I have never come across. Will probably start with the Malian - Bamako. A strange city I was fortunate to visit just before the loonies over ran parts of the country and the FCO advised against going there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simphiwa Dana, as I have learned, is quite an activist, and a star. It is a wonderful album. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete