Sunday 15 May 2022

Jack White - Fear of the Dawn, album review


Noise

Fuzz noise and electrified fuzz noise and other fuzz. Played loud and listened to loud. Opening Taking Me Back takes me back to the beginnings of fuzz, though here the digital trajectories (or whatever they are) are fine enhancements. Is Fear of the Dawn Hawkwind and Motorhead conjoined? That's space riffing, I guess. Loads of wah-wah too, original and re-worked. The White Raven is something out of the 90s that I don't recognise but it is scouring in its continuance of noise. And then there's Hi-De-Ho: it reminds me of Zach Condon's Beirut, and then there are samples and other stuff I have had to read about, and I think its great playful noise. Next Eosophobia begins with pretty guitar work before breaking into noisy versions of this. I have been listening to this loud for a few plays and enjoying every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment