Sunday 17 September 2023

Corinne Bailey Rae - Black Rainbows, album review


Transformation, Often

If you are seeking the pretty hush and gentility of the norm, go staright to fifth track Red Horse, and there is nothing wrong with this muted pulse of a rhythm and harmonised vocals and Rae's slight warble. I have never disliked this though have not been driven to like enough to return again and again. 

However, take in the power of second and third tracks, Black Rainbows and Erasure, and you have arrived at Rae's new planet of distorted rock and other jazzy transformations. Fourth track Earthlings has complex developments that enagage and surprise rather than primarily caress.

New York Transit Queen is perfect punk (maybe too much so for some) but this sticks with the trajectory of change. And when this is followed by the signature lounge sound of He Will Follow You With His Eyes it is less cloying, perhaps, especially as it takes care to step outside of this familiar to intone potently its lyrical diatribe:

My black hair kinking
My black skin gleaming
My plum red lipstick
My plum red lipstick
My black hair kinking
My black skin gleaming
My plum red lipstick
My plum red lipstick
My black hair kinking
My black skin gleaming
My plum red lipstick
My plum red lipstick
My black hair kinking
My black skin gleaming
My plum red lipstick
My plum red lipstick
My black hair kinking
My black skin gleaming
My plum red lipstick 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment