No Shit!
I vaguely remember Lambchop’s first album Nixon in 2014 – I mean ‘vaguely’ in terms of recalling the songs as I haven’t listened again for such a long time, but I do know I liked and followed since then, though again these subsequent ones get lost in the swarm of other music listened to in that time.
Like most, I’m sure, I’ve never forgotten the distinctive voice/singing of Kurt Wagner with its droll, witty, plaintive, poetic narratives. This latest album is dominated by that signature sound, but is dressed in the most beautiful choral accompaniment by the London Choir and the Eau Claire Vocal Sextet.
Mainly simply strummed guitar and banjo, the latter played by Justin Vernon, this combination sets much of the melodious as with opener Just West of Nicolette and third Weakened, both sweet. In these the choric element is hypnotic – certainly gorgeous – and in Weakened like a wind swirling (with some electronics in this track too).
I’m only on my second listen so hearing and learning more about its structured beauty as well as storytelling. Here are the plaintive lyrics from Weakened:
Then he fell sick…
Things had gotten peculiar
The grainy underwater
Singing sounds in his head
He lay on his cot
Watched the barren cracks
Formed in the ceiling
Old rags of late
Were no comfort
Oh,
The weaker souls
The weaker souls
The weaker souls
I’m a-ready
Then he fell sick…
Looked like a Buddha in a blanket
His eyes lifted to the window
Like he was waking from a dream
The sighs that were heard
Of a long fevered world
How does it feel
I don’t feel
Oh,
The weaker souls
The weaker souls
The weaker souls
They will go
Oh,
The weaker souls
I believe it
The weaker souls
The weaker souls
‘No Shit’ is a rapper’s brisk interjection in the opening track. For more details and to get, go here
PS In the song No Chicago, which is essentially a list of city names, the lyrics (or full lyrics) are not yet available online. On one site, obvious names are given, but '???' is written for those which haven't been worked out yet. One of these queries is for Karlsruhe, which I picked out immediately with great joy because I lived there for two years as a kid!


No comments:
Post a Comment