Thursday 23 October 2014

Yusuf - Tell 'Em I'm Gone

Muscular

There's always going to be the nostalgic impulse at work when approaching a new release from Yusuf, formerly Cat Stevens. I will write a fuller review at a later date, but as I listen now to his streamed album here, I am warmed by the familiar in his still distinctive voice but also the bluesy muscle in some of the opening tracks, Rick Rubin placing his own distinctive hand on re-introducing an artist. There is some fine guitar work underpinning the songs, and there is able assistance from the likes of Richard Thompson, Charlie Musselwhite and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy. The autobiographical blues Editing Floor Blues is playing now, and that muscle/mussel is such a welcome layer. Grit with love, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment