Wednesday 13 May 2015

Allison Crowe - Sylvan Hour, album review

Intense

The songs on this 'new' album are actually from live recordings made over a one hour session - apparently - just on piano in 2006 in preparation for future group recordings, and only recently found having been lost. I hadn't heard Canadian chanteuse Crowe before, and on the evidence of her stunning vocals here that is surprising. That said, these recordings are quite intense as a block of songs, ironically because of that vocal power, perhaps overstated at times for some, and I guess I could be one of them, but what I'm really thinking is that if spread across a more varied album with band numbers interspersed with these solo ones that variation would have allowed more sonic breadth. Another factor that will be in Crowe's favour, or not, is her covers of such established classics as Joni Mitchell's Case of You and Aretha Franklin's I Never Loved A Man [The Way I Love You], both of which Crowe performs brilliantly, but people will have their adherences and allegiances. Personally, the album begins exquisitely with a cover, though perhaps because it isn't usurping another great female vocal it is different in effect, and it is The Lovin' Spoonful's Darling Be Home Soon. Crowe's vocal cross between Buffy St Marie and Tracey Chapman in its tone and warble works particularly emotively here, the effortless rise and fall across vocal tone/octaves seeming more apt and less overtly virtuoso. Possibly, I just love this song and love this version.


5 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you're enjoying discovery of Allison Crowe.

    I serve as manager to Allison - and appreciate "Sylvan Hour" is a full-on introduction. More gateway experiences are found on her other albums - still, however you approach the music may it bring you joy and more.

    Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you stopping by Adrian and leaving a comment. I am sure you are right that I need to listen to albums that have been crafted across a range of approaches - I have already ordered and look forward to discovering more about this outstanding singer.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, thank you, again, for your kind appreciation :)

    Should there be anything I can do to help in your musical exploration - please let me know - be that getting you additional recordings, or anything. (via Blogger or c/o email management@allisoncrowe.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for visiting Adrian, and the kind offer. I am OK at the moment - I have Spiral to get to know and look forward to this.

      Delete
    2. Very good. May you enjoy Spiral. That's a particular favourite of Allison's - she especially wants to hear other musicians on her recordings, and that album is well populated :)

      Delete