Friday 20 September 2013

Jackie Kaye - Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival, 20th September, 2013

Fucking Great

Had a delightful and genteel late afternoon in the calm autumnal sunshine at Budleigh Salterton, and then at the Public Hall to hear Jackie Kaye read her poetry and prose. I had the pleasure of Jackie visiting my school to work with sixth formers 14 years ago in July 1999. I recall how warm, friendly and humorous she was then. Nothing has changed.


It was an extremely entertaining reading, especially when Jackie regaled us with extracts from her memoir Red Dust Road, in particular meeting with her birth father in Nigeria. For those who don't know, Budleigh is a quiet seaside town on the East Devon coast populated predominantly by the retired and those of an age to make me feel reasonably sprightly. It was therefore reassuring that there were no gasps of outrage nor indeed heart attacks as Jackie managed to say the word fuck, denigrate Christianity [well fundamentalism, but it was a broad attack] and read aloud with alacrity the wonderful expression lesbian belly flap [you need to read the book!].

Actually, the audience who I have characterised quite accurately age-wise was extremely appreciative of her reading and her banter and her strident irreverences. So, had my prejudices and perceptions knocked around a bit today, and it was thoroughly enjoyed.


Lemn Sissay was the visiting poet last year and I mention now just so I can post this amazing photo:

1 comment:

  1. Have just been inspired by the blog to buy both the Jackie Kay and the Peter Reading. Looking forward to reading both. PRs Shitheads is impossible to get on its own but I have found it nestling in a collection of his poems so I'm sure I will enjoy reading a little more of Reading...( no pun intended!?!). By the way isn't Shitheads a great title? Certainly makes me want to read it. More poetry reviews please, Some Awe. Oh and marvellous pics of Mr S in snazzy attire. Naturally.
    PS Any chance of you getting a collection published in the foreseeable? I know the blog gets quite a few hits now so there is a captive audience, is there not?

    ReplyDelete