Saturday 21 September 2013

Peter Reading - Early Works

More Poetry

Simply wanting to celebrate Peter Reading a little more, I am looking forward to reading this early work in its original form - and also, obviously, to collect - but I will mention that this can be found in the first of the two editions of his Collected Poems from Bloodaxe, though I think their site directs you to Amazon.

And I will also mention Amazon Marketplace through which I purchased the four editions in the picture. It is an excellent resource, and the books from these four separate and independent sellers arrived exactly as described, very promptly, and all at a cost I thought very reasonable - if you are collecting that cost will be relative, but none of these was expensive even excepting that context.

Of the four, my treasure is the Outposts edition of Water and Waste, published in 1970. Outposts was run by Howard Sergeant, MBE, and it was Britain's oldest independent poetry magazine. I didn't get to know Howard Sergeant until the latter part of the 70s and early 80s. He was a most thoughtful and encouraging editor, and whilst he never published my poetry in his magazine - but always urged me to continue writing and trying -  he did publish a review I wrote of Ted Hughes' then new collection, Moortown.

No comments:

Post a Comment