Thursday 5 April 2012

Stone the Crows - The BBC Sessions Volume 1 1969-1970

No Crowing, Til Now

On this blog I write and get excited about old and new artists who are above average to outstanding and that's great fun. At times, I'm listening and thinking hard about who to choose, partly because there is just such a colossal choice, and partly because I want to select and say something spot on about music close to me, either over time or for a specific memory, but then get caught up in the anticipation of writing rather than the listening.

I had no intention of writing about this album tonight. I just put in on to listen. To be more precise, I was listening to a Spooky Tooth live in Germany - having played Better By You, Better Than Me the other day from my vinyl copy - but this is on the hard drive so played on the computer and the recording is a bit airy so I went back in and chose another recording near it in the Ss. Thus Stone the Crows.

Wow. All that previous writing about other chanteuses and I haven't yet mentioned one of the greatest: Maggie Bell. And Jim Dewar's vocal is also brilliant [going on to notably play bass and take lead vocal with the Robin Trower Band] and such a superb complement here - listen to the impressive interchange on Raining In Your Heart. So all this preamble to introduce this chance listen and writing and I'm not really going to say much more. It's absolutely simple: recorded live, for radio, so STC at their best; cool lead guitar by Les Harvey; great British rockblues and this stunning singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment