Thursday 12 April 2012

Sassy Songs


Hound Dog/Gigglebush Boogie - Bugs Henderson, At Last  [1978]

Of course that’s not Bugs, it’s moi, aged about 7, and the reason I’m on display with guitar is that I used to entertain the family ‘playing’ it and singing You ain’t nothin’ but a hound dog, just a cryin’ all the time – that is all I ever managed as I recall – and my performance always brought the family house down, which is why I will have continued, being my one early success for obtaining attention.


On Bugs Henderson’s great live album At Last, this closing 13 minute long track begins with a gloriously talented guitar solo, speed and subtlety both on sassy show, and its many twists and turns are superb, keeping you on your aural toes, and then the singing begins with A you ain’t nothing but a Hound Dog....! which is a wonderful surprise. The singing too has its attitude as it plays with the melody and teases with its varying pace [though playing a song made famous by the King of Sass is a good starter]. As Guitar One magazine sassily says of Henderson’s playing: The world's greatest unknown guitar player. He can flat out blow most pickers away. Bugs will fry the skin off your butt with his monster chops and fatback tone. 

3 comments: