Tuesday 15 November 2016

Ennio Morricone - Morricone 60, album review



Shhhh - The Empathy of a Cover Picture

If I said it out loud, I’m sure I could think of many examples, feeling I had to, but if I just write it here, like a whisper, and because I’ve just listened to this album’s version of the song, were I to ask, quietly, what music moves me the most, I would reply softly and undemonstratively Ennio Morricone’s song-score Deborah’s Theme.

This choice is definitely linked to the first time I heard it when watching for the first time, obviously, the film Once Upon a Time in America. The theme runs throughout the film [and whole soundtrack] in a number of variations, but it is always intensely emotive in its orchestral beauty, and plaintive about lost love, though also powerfully but negatively about the horror of abused passion.

The most personally moving music should actually be John Martyn’s Head and Heart, and probably is, or Vaughan Williams’ Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, or Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings [all the clichés, I know, again], or in fact any other number of John Martyn songs, but right here right now it is Deborah’s Theme.

This whole album of Morricone music arranged and conducted by the man himself after 60 years of writing film-scores is excellent, not least his gunslinger groundbreakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment