Thursday 6 January 2011

Covers and compilations

One of my many music obsessions is making compilations. Nothing original there: I made hundreds of mixed cassette tapes for years and then progressed to cds, often repeating the former productions. Digital compilations I have on the go at the mo are: Beatles covers; an amalgam of the songs 'Spoonful/Summertime/Statesboro Blues' [a choice of the s's] by a variety of bands/singers; covers of 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' and 'Honkey Tonk Woman'; a 'Morning Dew' collection, and a 'Nights in White Satin' aural assault where all the versions are crap.

So not always a positive outcome from an obsessive labour of love, but it's still better than working in the world of education today.

I have just listened to a version of 'Helter Skelter' by Don Harrison which was nondescript, and then a version of the Beatles' 'Because' by Gerry Rafferty from his sadly ironic titled album of 2009 'Life Goes On'. I didn't realise he had such a tough life. It is a pretty version and I will add it to the Beatles covers folder. At some stage I will cull the dross from this and then burn a cd. I'll listen once and then forget for about a decade. All that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment