Sunday 9 January 2011

Digging and juxtaposition


All Along the Watchtower; Honky Tonk Woman/Jumpin' Jack Flash

Have spent a good portion of the morning digging a good portion of the vegetable garden - a late chore because of sustained frosts throughout December. Lovely day today in January and digging in a vest because it's that sunny and warm. But using a spade.

So listening to more of my compilations on the mp3 player, having joined the two above [three song selections].

Can versions/covers be better than originals? Of course, as is the case with Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower'. Presumably the covers I have are of his version too, rather than Dylan, though I haven't and won't check the chronology.

Two of my favourite 'AATW' cover covers are by Buddy Miles Express and Affinity, the latter a band I do rate highly and it is one of my most valuable vinyl albums. On this compilation there are some brilliant and again random juxtapositions: there's a pounding Dave Mason live version [and what a brilliant guitarist he is] which is then followed by an acoustic Taj Mahal. Most versions have wow-wow guitar and that's all that's needed to get me excited. There's a superb garage version but I can't remember how or where it is from. Raincrow give a live bluesy version with the kind of naive but effective harmonica I can just about manage, and Barbara Keith provides a vocal belter. Great digging music.

Magically, on the 'HTW/JJF' set there is another Taj Mahal contrast: first is a Peter Frampton 'JJF' with orchestra and vocal backing that is genuinely rousing, followed by another acoustic Mahal, but of 'HTW' that makes it sound like an original blues. The harmonica playing on this is way out of my novice league. Leslie West and Mick Taylor give their separate but empathetic renditions - empathetic in the sense that great guitarists wouldn't normally ruin such sound songs - but the one that pushed the Stones original the most to similar perfection is Johnny Winter's stonking track. Saw him live very recently at the Phoenix in Exeter [that was something special, hot on the heals of having seen Peter Green there too] and there is a live version of his 'JJF' on the BBC's 'Old Grey Whistle Test'.

3 comments:

  1. PS The vision of you digging made me giggle as Heaney's poems sprang to mind! Was there any squelching or slapping? Of course, you then went in and "dug"with your "pen" (or at least a computer!)
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - my first comment didn't post! Oh well, all I said was that AATW is a stonkin' song but I have only heard a couple of non-Hendrix versions. You'll just have to read these in reverse order so that the PS makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of Heaney too, though I was trying not to! Hendrix and Heaney - an unusual mix...

    ReplyDelete