Tuesday 25 January 2011

Joan As Police Woman - The Deep Field


White Ghost

Released today and it is a superb album, her most coherent and certainly a consistently fuller sound across all tracks. As other reviewers have noted, it is soulful and funky and my view is there's less of the 'solo' sound heard on her other work. It is therefore more commercial too and that's fine.

I have posted below 'The Ride' which will always be my favourite - it has that 'solo' sound and the melody and harmony of earlier work which rather than just preference, though that is an element, reminds me of first hearing her which is always a significant moment with an artist you grow to rate - and this album has certainly moved away from this for most tracks.

There are plenty of reviews out there so I'm not going to say much more. I'm listening again now and still enjoying and hearing those nuances from these aural additions. The track playing as I write is 'Forever and a Year' and that has the most direct link to a song like 'The Ride' and thus I love it. Beautiful. A distinctive voice at a time when there are plenty of excellent female but cloned vocals out there. 'Run For Love' has a rousing end, and both 'Flash' and 'Human Condition' have the ghost of Bary White within them! Have a listen to see if you can hear his haunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment