Saturday 23 April 2016

Prince - June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016

Clarity

I've been listening to two main recordings I have of Prince over the last two days: one a live recording from a concert in Detroit, the second a greatest hits compilation.

In his case - and as has been the context so much this year already, a nostalgic listening on a great artist's passing - my appreciation is almost wholly objective, if fulsome. What a great writer and performer! Seemingly a scant eulogy among the many tributes out there, but others have said it all. My point is I didn't 'grow up' with Prince's music in the way I did, to varying degrees, with David Bowie or Glenn Frey or Keith Emerson, and so I don't have that phenomenal connection which is a nostalgic empathy that can be hugely emotive. But I do listen with the clarity of being totally impressed with his pure musicianship.

I did get to see him live at one of his London O2 shows in 2007, and that was a concert my family and I definitely wanted to go to, and did.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you and mum laughing in the car at me as we drove back from the Lakes one year. We'd been there for Christmas and you'd bought me Diamonds and Pearls on cassette. We played it on the way home and I sang every word. At just 30 now, I realise how funny a 12 yr old singing that might be! I had a cool childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you think so, because mum and I think you are pretty cool.

      That’s a great anecdote too.

      xxx

      Delete