Monday 10 January 2011

Digging up more watchtowers


Have been out digging more of the garden this afternoon, though only a short spell as the weather is blustery and now raining. The diurnal difference.

Have been compiling more and researching and I don't know if this is a good journey or an obsessive yomp - will have to monitor myself.

I have been listening to more 'All Along the Watchtower' tracks whilst digging as well as earlier today a 'Little Wing' compilation I got stuck into [see what I mean?]. And back to the issue of original vs covers, Hendrix's 'LW' can't be beaten because it is Hendrix. The first album I bought was 'Are You Experienced'. I had purchased singles before this when I lived in Germany - and have many great originals - but the first lp was Hendrix's in England. He will always be number one.

Johnny Ray Vaughan's 'LW' version is stunning, but still not a challenge. I think many - or at least some, I don't really know - prefer JRV because there is more guitar! Hendrix's is such a beautiful short song, which means those who focus on the melody and lyrics win too. There's a nice version by Snowy White and the White Flame that doesn't attempt guitar virtuosity - and he could have [it's from his fine album 'Little Wing'] - but instead focuses on the song itself. Interesting.

But it's 'AATW' I should focus on. In researching this I found a great database for support: http://www.secondhandsongs.com/. I also came across an excellent blog: http://pkcantexplain.blogspot.com/ where there is a piece on Hendrix's 'AATW' with reference to Dylan's original. This is a blog I will enjoy reading more as the writer is clearly very informed as well as articulate and engaging. So, as I said elsewhere, one aspect of writing this blog is producing results in as much as I am discovering and learning. One such was Brewer and Shipley's 'AATW' version from their album 'Weeds' which I'd forgotten I had - a straight but effective cover with their vocal harmonies [and one of my definite all-time favourite albums is their 'Shake Off The Demon']. A final discovery to mention here was a version by Neil Young with Booker T &the MGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment