Wednesday 19 January 2011

Mother's Finest - Same [1973]


Free love

In compiling a Stephen Stills tandem covers collection - 'Love the One You're With' and 'For What It's Worth' - I returned to this album for their excellent version of 'LTOYW', though it occurred to me that this is such an exuberant song it would be difficult to produce a duff copy. Listening to the whole album now it is obvious to me how the performances spread that exuberance across all the funky tracks and the group is perhaps best remembered/reverenced for its stonking live performances, though I have only heard these on recordings.

At some stage I will write about Stills but probably also the rest of the CSN&Y 'scared shitless' crew both as a whole and individually [and I've already referenced Young in this blog]. I also listened to the Stills compilation today and 'Love the One You're With' does have an infectious upbeat ethos, even if the philosophical maxim is taking carpe diem to a lively max!

No comments:

Post a Comment